Thursday, November 09, 2006

Work Shmerk! Thats what I always say... (refurbished)

October 18th was my one year anniversary at my current job. It kind of snuck up on me to tell the truth... and I find it difficult to believe that it has been a year since I left Columbus, Ohio. It has been a decent year... not a whole lot of excitement.. alot of settling in, alot of adjustment... a lot of Star Wars collecting..(its been awhile since I've been able to wantonly spend on my collection without having to worry about the financial repurcussions...)

I enjoy my job. It is in the same industry as FedEx Kinko's, but a much smaller and more personal environment. No corporate propaganda or bull shit. I get to do alot of design work, which I actually enjoy, and it has allowed me to learn quite a bit... My boss, Lee, is a really nice guy, and is very easy to work with/get along with. He reminds me alot of one of our old managers at Kinko's, Jermaine Washington. Very polite, very sensible... My one-year anniversary culminated in a raise, and the addition of Health Insurance! Yay! You know you're old when you get excited for insurance...

I don't really have any exciting plans for this next year.. I would like to get my own place, maybe this Spring.. hopefully I will be out of debt by then. If my plans go as , he-he, as I plan... then I should be... I will more than likely still be working for Lee, though he has lots of grandiose plans for his business, so I may be doing something different. He has talked of getting an actual printing press, which would be awesome to learn how to use. The full-on publishing world is far different from the quick-print industry... I had at one time considered the possibility of venturing into the world of Book Design as a major in school.. but it never happened. I should have focused myself more and just tried for a Graphic Design degree somewhere (considering that is what I do now, and I'd be much better at it if I knew what the heck I was doing instead of just fumbling my way through)however, that didn't happen. I was way more of a dreamer in college than a realist. So a Fine Art degree is what I got, and I am proud of it. I will never regret my choice of education and my years at Juniata College. I spent much of my time there learning about myself, and obsessing over girls who wanted nothing to do with me... than I ever did learning a "trade". I loved those four years of my life, and man do I miss them...I am working on getting the rest of my life to the same point.. to the point where I am truly enjoying myself at... well, just being me. It is a hard thing to do sometimes... wow.. talk about a tangent...

No comments: