Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Reading List

I have really fallen behind in my reading of late... at one point I promised myself I would dedicate more time to reading.. but I have failed at it. So I thought I'd make this list of books that are on "the pile" to be read soon.  Then I saw this post on Wil Wheaton's blog today.. and he had the perfect quote from Neal Stephenson:

"If you choose to read a book today, it's not like a hundred years ago, when that was your only option. Today, when you read a book, you're making a conscious decision not to play a video game, not to surf the web, not to watch a movie, not to turn on the TV. It does require a certain discipline to make that decision.…"

I also spend a good amount of time listening to audiobooks, so I will include them as well.  Mostly for me, audiobooks are a way to re-live a book I have already read, so they are not as much of a priority as reading new stuff.  These are in no particular order...

Star Wars : Allegiance by Timothy Zahn
I have been slowly working my way into the Expanded Universe... Zahn is easily the best of the authors writing in there...(he is also pretty much responisble for starting it all...)


This would be the second best Expanded Universe author...gritty war stories from the Clone Wars told from the point of view of the Clone Troopers.  Very respected and recommened books in the Star Wars Community.

The Graveyard Book
by Neil Gaiman
Everything this man writes is worth reading... and I have a signed copy of this book just waiting to be read. 


Never been a King fan... but a friend of mine recoommnded this series heavily.. so I am gonna give it a try.




Armegeddon's Children by Terry Brooks
The Elves of Cintra by Terry Brooks
The Gypsy Morph by Terry Brooks
Brook's new series The Genesis of Shanarra, which links two of his previous series together.. I have always enjoyed Brook's work.. just haven't dove into these yet..


Still working on learning this game... and this version of the rules just came out...  Its a really cool game.. with awesome miniatures... here is one of those very miniatures painted by the master of miniature painting, Mike McVey.  The fluff behind the miniatures and armies is one of my favorite parts of miniature games.. so I am looking forward to reading this.


Listening to.......

The Black Unicorn by Terry Brooks
I love the Landover series, and hadn't read it in ages.. next fall is a new book in thsi series, so I am gonna get caught up via audio..

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
Ever since I started reading about the upcoming TV show I have wanted to go back and read the books.. but audio seems like a good way to go about it... then I can paint miniatures at the same time. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I also highly endorse Stephen King's Dark Tower series

Unknown said...

I truly enjoyed the first few Dark Tower books. Somewhere around book 4 (maybe five) I started to get bogged down. I hated the ending and wish I'd stopped reading when urged to. If you get all the way through the series let me know what you think.

I loved most of the Sword of Truth books but toward the end the 'message' became a bit heavy handed.

Pondrepof said...

I just started Wizard's First Rule anew in audio format... and it has me hooked all over. I might actually get past book three this time...